Thursday, April 08, 2010

It Can Happen

Things can happen that I don't fully understand.

I spend most of Easter Weekend with a slight sore throat. I didn't think much of it, as I had spent a lot of time talking, and thought that was the cause of the soreness.

On the way back home on Sunday afternoon and evening, I started sneezing and blowing my nose. Great: a cold.

On Monday, I noticed gunk around my left eye. And I assumed the cold had moved to my eye as sometimes happens with nasal congestion.

But by Monday night, I suspected it was Pink Eye. Tuesday morning I confirmed this with my housemate and picked up an over-the-counter treatment. To no avail.

Wednesday, morning it had moved the right eye as well. The discharge seemed worse than the left had been.

Not taking any chances, I did go to the doctor and get a antibiotic eye treatment and a Zpak of oral antibiotic.

The only irritating thing has been the itch in my eyes and my fatigue the last couple of days.

I know that Pink Eye is most often associated with childhood and I seriously don't remember ever getting it, but do remember my neighbors getting it.

I have no idea how I contacted it, but it can happen even as an adult. Knowing it is contagious, I have been extremely cautious, using hand sanitizer and such.

Today, is the first day I have felt like working, and am hoping this means I am over the worse. The cold has been more at the nuisance stage than at the full-blown stage although the doctor thought I had the start of a nasal infection.

Oh, and there was another snafu as my prescription card would not work. that I had a problem with my health insurance when my left eye went blind. I got that straightened out, and I'm sure I'll get my prescription coverage back as well.

Not having the coverage helped me to appreciate the plight of those without such coverage. The eyedrops were $107 and the Zpak was $45. I'm sure I'll get it back, but I certainly wondered how others would afford it.

And so the Journey continues . . .

No comments: