Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Reaching for the Heavens


This picture of redwoods seems to be reaching for the heavens. That's what last night felt like for me. A housemate and I went to a spiritual dance last night. I'm sure many may find my experience far too "woo-hoo" but it was blissful for me.

The weekly dance is held in a dance studio. The lighting is very subdued. The music is very new age, very Middle Eastern but also African, even jazzy blues.

This isn't an organized dance, or couples dancing. It's a group of individuals who tune into the music and allow their bodies to move as it will. Some dance slow and methodically, others are nearly frantic. Some are sitting and swaying to the music. Some are laying down, and moving to the music.

Even before I became heavyset, I was never a great dancer. I can't seem to connect what I feel in my mind to movement in my body. By the time I get my body to move the way I want, the music has moved on. So I have just seemed to be making awkward gyrations. Spirit dancing isn't like that for me.

It doesn't matter if I am coordinated. I just move as I desire and my body likes it. But still I couldn't seem to get out my head. Luckily, my back was spasming. (Do you see what this implies? My back is spasming with pain and I see it as lucky, or as a blessing?) I decided to lay down.

I closed my eyes and seemed to instantly connect to my spirit body. I envisioned my spirit body dancing. This sort of played like a video on the back of my eyelids. I felt myself dancing around a fire. At times I was Native American, others African, Aborigine, and Chinese. I morphed from one dance and clan to another according to the music. And I soon found myself in a state of bliss.

I would open my eyes and be surprised to see people dancing around me. Forty-five minutes had passed. I would close my eyes again and be back in bliss. I moved to another spot on the floor (trying to find a cooler spot.) Once again I closed my eyes and was in bliss.

I would open my eyes and be fully conscious for a few seconds, close them again and be in bliss. Near the end of the dance, I opened my eyes to find my housemate dancing near me. I smiled at her. I thought to get up and dance with her, but closed my eyes and was once again at bliss.

This very much an out-of-body experience. I struggled to come into consciousness. I realized the evening was nearly over and I got up to dance a bit. Yet, I was not fully present either. I was half in body and half in spirit. Very surreal. Very blissful.

The last couple of songs were soft and quiet, and I sort of step-walked through them. And then the group circled up, held hands, announced our names, and were thankful for the dance.

I was not fully conscious. Those who deeply meditate will know the feeling I am speaking about. I could have come fully conscious, but was enjoying the afterglow of bliss. My housemate drove home for me. And slowly I came fully into consciousness.

Now, all told I may have danced for 25-30 minutes, in three different sessions. Ten minutes at the last. And I was utterly exhausted. My body felt as if I had danced the entire time. And being at such a high energy can be exhausting as well.

This was different from the ecstasy dance that I previously experienced. But I like equally well. I would do either of them again.

These are my thoughts this morning.

And yes, the journey is continuing . . . maybe just a little more blissfully than before.

No comments: